KBS094:Poplar Biomass by Allometric Equations
Poplars are grown as cellulose crop at the Main Cropping System Experiment. The first rotation was planted at a stocking density of 1 tree per 2 square meter. After the first harvest the trees were allowed to coppice. After the second harvest the trees were replanted. The third rotation was planted at 1 tree per 3.6 square meter. For the first two rotations the species planted was Populus nigra x P. deltoids hybrid for the third rotation it is Populus nigra x P. maximowiczii.
- Status: active
- Temporal Coverage 1989-01-01 to 2019-10-11
- Repository Link https://doi.org/10.6073/pasta/11813b609a26b343cced93805b25a98b
- KBS019-007 Poplar Measurement
- Poplars are measured to develop relationships between biomass and allometric values, or to estimate biomass from such relationships. Prior to 1994 woody biomass was divided into stems and branches, here they are combined into the WOOD fraction. The original data is available on request.
- KBS019-008 Poplar Biomass at Harvest
- Poplar plots are clearcut and biomass is measured, by weighing the biomass harvested. Biomass is the standing crop, or production since last clearcut, in g/m2, based on 9088 m2. However, poplar density is not constant across the plots. The 2007 data are from the S1x2m planting density on the southern half of the plot.
- KBS019-009 Poplar Biomass Areal via Allometry
- Poplars are destructively sampled to estimate biomass. In between the diameter of the poplars is used to estimate the biomass. The following equations were used to convert diameters at 15 cm to tree weight. biomass_g = 10^ (-1.195 + 2.505 * log(diameter)) (before 2008 for the Populus nigra x P. deltoids hybrid) and biomass_g = 10^(-0.713 + 2.367 * log(diameter)) (after 2008 Populus. nigra x Populs maximowiczii.).
- KBS019-011 Coppice Poplar Stem Biomass
- The original LTER poplars were copiced in 1999. This table tracks regrowth. Details of stems stored separately from branches (KBS019-012).
- KBS019-012 Coppice Poplar Branch Biomass
- Mass on a per tree basis for branches from sampled poplars.
- KBS019-013 Coppice Poplar Branch and Stem Biomass
- Poplars were clearcut in 1999. Since then, several trees per plot per year have been destructively sampled. This table integrates stem and branch data (KBS019-011 and KBS019-012).
- KBS019-025 Poplar Biomass per Stem via Allometry
- The measured and estimated biomass and poplar diameters per stem. After the first rotation the poplars were allowed to coppice and had several stems per tree. The different stems are indicated by the stem id. The following equations were used to convert diameters at 15 cm to tree weight. biomass_g = 10^ (-1.195 + 2.505 * log(diameter)) (before 2008 for the Populus nigra x P. deltoids hybrid) and biomass_g = 10^(-0.713 _ 2.367 * log(diameter)) (after 2008 for the Populus. nigra x Populs maximowiczii. variety).
- KBS094-001 Poplar Stand Counts
- To document the survival rate of the poplar plantation, a census was taken to determine the number of trees that remained alive. All trees were counted. Tree damage was recorded when extensive.
- KBS094-002 Poplar damage assessment
- Poplar damage assessments were conducted by observing all of the trees along particular planting rows (transects) and counting the number of trees with each damage type.