KBS002:LTER Meteorological Stations
Meteorological data have been collected on the LTER main site since 1988.
Originally, wind direction and speed, total solar radiation, net solar radiation, rainfall, air temperature, and relative humidity were recorded hourly in connection with measurements of evapotranspiration and deep percolation from a 6 m2 in-ground weighing lysimeter. The lysimeter and fetch area were planted to continuous alfalfa.
Although the lysimeter is no longer in operation, weather data collection continues. Precipitation was measured with a tipping bucket rain gauge until fall of 1997, when it was replaced with a weighing bucket rain gauge. In 2007 the belford rain gauge was replaced by a NOAH IV weighing bucket gage. All other sensors are electronic, connected to a data logger that is polled remotely. Instruments to measure wind speed and direction are mounted on a tower at 10 m. Light sensors (net solar radiation and photosynthetically active radiation) a thermometer, and an RH probe (with a built-in thermometer) are mounted at about 3 m. Soil moisture and temperature are monitored near the base of the tower.
- Status: active
- Temporal Coverage 1988-01-01 to 2020-04-14
- Repository Link https://doi.org/10.6073/pasta/4c30523bae14c4340e4d9c90e72f90c4
- KBS002-001 LTER Weather Station - Daily Precip and Air Temp
- A synthetic weather record drawn largely from the LTER Weather station but supplemented with data from nearby stations for completeness.
- KBS002-006 LTER Weather Station - Daily Weather- All Variates
- A synthetic weather record drawn largely from the LTER Weather station but supplemented with data from nearby stations for completeness. KBS002-006 is a superset of KBS002-001.
- KBS002-007 LTER Weather Station - Raw Hourly Weather
Raw hourly observations from the LTER weather station. These data are not checked.
- KBS002-008 Annual Temperature and Precipitation
- This is a summation of the "daily temperature and precipitation dataset":http://lter.kbs.msu.edu/datatables/7
- KBS002-010 LTER Weather Station - Daily Wind Speed and Direction
- Mean arithmetic wind speed and direction at 10 meters, located at the KBS LTER weather station (42.408537, -85.373637)
- KBS002-012 GLBRC Intensive Site Rainfall
- Rainfall has been measured on the GLBRC intensive site since 2012-8-16. The station uses a heated Texas Electronics TR-525M tipping bucket. Data are collected hourly and aggregated by day. The tipping bucket is located at the edge of G5R1 and does not have a lot of free space around it. A more reliable precipitation record can be found at the "LTER Weather station":[https://lter.kbs.msu.edu/datatables/7] located about 1 mile north of the BCSE site.
- KBS002-013 Monthly precipitation and air temperature
- A compilation of the daily weather observations over months.
- KBS002-014 LTER Weather Station - Air Temperature and Wind speed maximums and minimums
- Daily maximum and minimum temperatures and maximum wind gusts are recorded in this datatable.
- KBS002-prot04 Weather Station Annual Maintenance
- KBS002-prot02 MCSE: Weather Station Sensors
- KBS002-prot03 Soil Temperature: Onset Dataloggers
- KBS002-prot01 MCSE: Weather Station Weekly Maintenance