KBS006:Seed Bank Distribution and Composition
This dataset contain the distribution and composition of the soil weed seed bank in Treatments 1-8 of the Main Cropping System Experiment (MCSE) at the LTER Main Site. The weed seed bank was periodically (every 3-6 years) evaluated using elutriation and germination seed counting methods. Composite soil samples to two depths were elutriated to determine seed densities, species composition, and viabilities of seven dominant target species on the site. The goal of this study was to determine:
- how well the seed bank predicts weed abundances and composition in subsequent years, and
- how changes in disturbance (tillage) and plant species (cropping systems) affect the bank.
- Status: active
- Temporal Coverage 1990-04-18 to 2008-05-29
- Repository Link https://doi.org/10.6073/pasta/c376065b1f83da0c335ca1091edf0491
- KBS006-001 Seed Bank via Direct Germination
Number of seedlings, by plant species, germinating from soils of MCSE Treatments 1-4 and 7. Soil cores were separated into 0-5 and 5-15 cm depth intervals and the weed seed bank analyzed by direct germination: seeds were allowed to germinate and the number of seedlings are counted and identified.
- KBS006-002 Seed Bank via Elutriation
Number of seeds, by plant species, from soils of MCSE Treatments 1-8. Soil cores are separated into 0-5 and 5-15 cm depth intervals and plant species and seed numbers determined by elutriation of soil.