Baseline Spatial Variability Study - Seed Bank
The seedbank was analyzed for an array of geo-referenced points prior to the start of the Main Cropping System Experiment.
This datatable is part of the Baseline Spatial Variability Study dataset. A spatial variability study conducted across the LTER Main Site area (45 ha) at KBS prior to dividing the site into 1-ha experimental plots. During the 1988 growing season a stratified unaligned sampling scheme was used to collect 400-600 geo-referenced samples across the site (uniformly planted to a single variety of soybeans) for:
- geomorphological characteristics (microtopography, soil horizon depths, bulk density, texture);
- soil chemical characteristics (pH, NO3, NH4, total C, total N, moisture, inorganic P, trace metals);
- soil biological characteristics (N mineralization potentials, microbial biomass C, microbial biomass N, fungal/bacterial ratios, nematodes and other soil invertebrates; seed bank size);
- plant weed species abundance, weed biomass at peak standing crop); and
- insect characteristics (major pest and predator species).
Most soil samples (0-15cm) were taken before crop emergence, plant phenology samples were taken throughout the growing season, biomass samples were taken at physiological maturity, and insect samples were taken continuously. Dried soil and plant samples are archived for potential future analysis.
|Experiment:||Main Cropping System Experiment (MCSE)|
|Data available from:||January 1988|
|year||year of the observation|
|easting||easting of the sample location in UTM 16N||meter|
|northing||northing of the sample location in UTM 16N||meter|
|depth||soil sample depth in cm||centimeter|
|seedlings||number of seedlings per sample||dimensionless|
|comment||a comment about this sample point|
|1988||633800||4697207||Abutilon theophrasti Medikus||0-2||0|
|1988||633800||4697207||Abutilon theophrasti Medikus||0-5||0|
|1988||633800||4697207||Abutilon theophrasti Medikus||2-5||0|
|1988||633800||4697207||Amaranthus albus L.||0-2||0|
|1988||633800||4697207||Amaranthus albus L.||0-5||0|