Baseline Spatial Variability Study - Soil Microbial Biomass/Respiration
Soil microbial biomass, respiration and counts were analyzed in soil cores taken from an array of spatially referenced points prior to the start of the Main Cropping System Experiment.
This datatable is part of the Baseline Spatial Variability Study dataset. A spatial variability study conducted across the LTER Main Site area (45 ha) at KBS prior to dividing the site into 1-ha experimental plots. During the 1988 growing season a stratified unaligned sampling scheme was used to collect 400-600 geo-referenced samples across the site (uniformly planted to a single variety of soybeans) for:
- geomorphological characteristics (microtopography, soil horizon depths, bulk density, texture);
- soil chemical characteristics (pH, NO3, NH4, total C, total N, moisture, inorganic P, trace metals);
- soil biological characteristics (N mineralization potentials, microbial biomass C, microbial biomass N, fungal/bacterial ratios, nematodes and other soil invertebrates; seed bank size);
- plant weed species abundance, weed biomass at peak standing crop); and
- insect characteristics (major pest and predator species).
Most soil samples (0-15cm) were taken before crop emergence, plant phenology samples were taken throughout the growing season, biomass samples were taken at physiological maturity, and insect samples were taken continuously. Dried soil and plant samples are archived for potential future analysis.
|Experiment:||Main Cropping System Experiment (MCSE)|
|Data available from:||January 1988|
|Core Areas||Populations,Organic Matter,Disturbance|
|year||year that the observation was made|
|easting||easting of the sample location in UTM 16N||meter|
|northing||northing of the sample location in UTM 16N||meter|
|organisms g||organisms per gram of soil||number/gram|
|microbial respiration||microbial respiration in ng C/gram/day||nanograms/gram/day|
|microbial biomass||microbial biomass in ug C/g soil||μg/g|
|organisms m2||organisms per square meter||number/metersquared|
|microbial respiration m2||microbial respiration in mg C per meter squared per day||mg/m2/day|
|microbial biomass m2||microbial biomass in mg C per square meter||milligrams/squaremeter|