Baseline Spatial Variability Study - Soil Total Carbon and Nitrogen
Baseline total carbon and nitrogen content, plus soil moisture and pH, of soils collected from an array of geo-referenced points prior to the start of the Main Cropping System Experiment.
This datatable is part of the Baseline Spatial Variability Study dataset. A spatial variability study conducted across the LTER Main Site area (45 ha) at KBS prior to dividing the site into 1-ha experimental plots. During the 1988 growing season a stratified unaligned sampling scheme was used to collect 400-600 geo-referenced samples across the site (uniformly planted to a single variety of soybeans) for:
- geomorphological characteristics (microtopography, soil horizon depths, bulk density, texture);
- soil chemical characteristics (pH, NO3, NH4, total C, total N, moisture, inorganic P, trace metals);
- soil biological characteristics (N mineralization potentials, microbial biomass C, microbial biomass N, fungal/bacterial ratios, nematodes and other soil invertebrates; seed bank size);
- plant weed species abundance, weed biomass at peak standing crop); and
- insect characteristics (major pest and predator species).
Most soil samples were taken before crop emergence, plant phenology samples were taken throughout the growing season, biomass samples were taken at physiological maturity, and insect samples were taken continuously. Dried soil and plant samples are archived for potential future analysis.
|Experiment:||Main Cropping System Experiment (MCSE)|
|Data available from:||January 1988|
|Core Areas||Organic Matter,Disturbance|
|year||year of the observation|
|easting||easting of sampling location in UTM 16N||meter|
|northing||northing of sampling location in UTM 16N||meter|
|h2o fw||soil moisture (fresh weight basis) in %||%|
|hplus||soil H+ activity in 10E+6 H+||dimensionless|
|total c||total C in %||%|
|total n||total N in %||%|
|soil cn||C:N ratio||dimensionless|
|h2o dw||soil moisture (dry weight basis) in %||%|
|h2o m2||soil moisture (dry weight, areal basis) in kg/m2||kilograms/squaremeter|
|total c m2||total C (areal basis) in kg/m2||kilograms/squaremeter|
|total n m2||total N (areal basis) in kg/m2||kilograms/squaremeter|