Narrative Agronomic Field Log
This log details agronomic activity on the LTER site. The related tables include views of the agronomic log that might be useful to answer more specific question.
A browsable interface of the aglog is available at https://aglog.kbs.msu.edu
This datatable is part of the Main Cropping System Experiment Field Logs and treatment descriptions dataset. This dataset includes information about the LTER main site treatments, agronomic practices carried out on the treatments and approved site use requests.
Most long-term hypotheses associated with the KBS LTER site are being tested within the context of the main cropping systems study. This study was established on a 48 ha area on which a series of 7 different cropping systems were established in spring 1988, each replicated in one of 6 ha blocks. An eighth never-tilled successional treatment, is located 200 m off-site, replicated as four 0.06 ha plots.
Cropping systems include the following treatments:
- T1. Conventional: standard chemical input corn/soybean/wheat rotation conventionally tilled (corn/soybean prior to 1992)
- T2. No-till: standard chemical input corn/soybean/wheat rotation no-tilled (corn/soybean prior to 1992)
- T3. Reduced input: low chemical input corn/soybean/wheat rotation conventionally tilled (ridge till prior to 1994)
- T4. Biologically based: zero chemical input corn/soybean wheat rotation conventionally tilled (ridge till prior to 1994)
- T5. Poplar: Populus clones on short-rotation (6-7 year) harvest cycle
- T6. Alfalfa: continuous alfalfa, replanted every 6-7 years (converted to switchgrass in 2018)
- T7. Early successional community: historically tilled soil
- T8. Mown grassland community: never-tilled soil.
For specific crops in a given year see the Annual Crops Summary Table.
In 1993 a series of forest sites were added to the main cropping system study to provide long-term reference points and to allow hypotheses related to substrate diversity to be tested. These include:
- TCF. Coniferous forest: three conifer plantations, 40-60 years old
- TDF. Decidious forest: three deciduous forest stands, two old-growth and one 40-60 years post-cutting
- TSF. Mid-successional forest: three old-field (mid-successional) sites 40+ years post-abandonment.
All share a soil series with the main cropping system treatments, and are within 5 km of all other sites.
For each system (and for a number of microplot treatments nested within the main treatment plots) the following baseline variates are being measured (described in greater detail in other data set descriptors):
- plant characteristics, including species distributions and abundances, net aboveground productivity by functional group (crop vs. non dominant biomass, selected non dominant biomass), economic yields, tissue C and N contents, seed bank composition;
- soil chemical and physical characteristics, including soil moisture, pH, inorganic N and P pools, total C, N, and P pools, bulk density;
- soil biological characteristics, including microbial biomass C and N, N mineralization rates (buried bags), microbial populations, invertebrate populations; and
- insect and pathogen dynamics, including distributions and abundances of major insect pests and predators and of Fusarium pathogens.
|Experiment:||Main Cropping System Experiment (MCSE)|
|Data available from:||May 1988 to March 2020|
|obs date||usually the date on which the observation was authored, unless otherwise noted|
|comment||prose text representing an observation, e.g. a log entry|
|author||author of the observation|
|MCSE: Agronomic Protocol|
|2020-07-09||Row cultivated the LTER Main Site T4 Corn plots all replications. Speed was 4 mph. Started on Southwest side of all plots.||Ryan Anthony|
|2020-06-26||Row cultivated the LTER Main Site T4 Corn plots all replications. Speed was 2.5mph. Started on North East side of all plots. Cultivated in opposite direction from previous cultivation to reduce weed pressure from approximately 5" of space to corn row left from first cultivation.||Ryan Anthony|
|2020-06-24||Fertilized LTER main site treatment T1 and T2 Alison's micro plots (plus nitrogen plots only). Applied 23.5 gallons of 28% liquid nitrogen. 28% liquid nitrogen fertilizer weighs 10.67 lbs/gallon. This equals 70 lbs of N/A. Set applicator up into a 4 row configuration using 5 knives. the middle 3 applied full rate and the outer 2 were half rate. Fertilizer was knifed 4-6 inches into the ground between the corn rows.||Justin Mezo|
|2020-06-25||Sprayed LTER Main Site treatment T1 and T2 all replications old micro plot in NORTH WEST CORNER OF PLOTS ( ONLY THE MICRO PLOTS) for post-emergence weed control where corn was planted. Sprayed with AMS and Roundup Powermax. AMS applied at 3.4 lbs/A and Roundup Powermax 1qt/A. Weather conditions at the start 12:40 p.m. sunny 74 degrees F, 53% humidity with 5-6 mph west winds. Conditions at the end 3:00 p.m. were sunny, 76 degrees F, 42.7% humidity, and 8-9 mph north west.||Justin Mezo|
|2020-06-25||Sprayed LTER Main Site treatment T3 all replications for post-emergence weed control where corn was planted. Sprayed with AMS and Roundup Powermax. AMS applied at 3.4 lbs/A and Roundup Powermax 1qt/A. Weather conditions at the start 8:50 a.m. sunny 66.3 degrees F, 76% humidity with 6-7 mph north west winds. Conditions at the end 11:40 a.m. were sunny, 71.5 degrees F, 58.2% humidity, and 4-6 mph west.||Justin Mezo|