Ecological Research in Agricultural Landscapes: Synthesizing Big Data
This event combined the All Scientists Meeting (ASM) and Fall Investigators Field Tour into one gathering. It was held at the Kellogg Biological Station on Friday, September 16th and Saturday, September 17th. Nearly 60 Graduate Students, Post-docs, Staff, Technicians, and Faculty attended.
On Friday morning the Keynote address was given by MSU’s Pat Soranno.
Plenary session: New Directions in LTER VI
Following an Introduction to the LTER project given by:
- Phil Robertson, KBS and Dept. of Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences, MSU: State of the Project
Where we are, where we’re headed, opportunities
KBS LTER Faculty provided updates and proposed future work on LTER research themes:
- Phil Robertson, KBS and Dept. of Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences, MSU: Biogeochemistry
- Jen Lau and Sarah Evans, KBS and Dept. of Plant Biology, MSU: Biodiversity
- Sandy Marquart-Pyatt, Dept. of Sociology, MSU: Modeling Socio-Ecological Systems
- Scott Swinton, Dept. of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics, MSU: Pay-for-Performance Conservation
- Kate Glanville: Heavy rainfall events have become more intense and frequent
- Will West: Understanding How Microbially Mediated Denitrification is Influenced by Switchgrass Exudates
- Andrew Myers: Monarch Butterfly Breeding Ecology in Agroecosystems
- Brendan O’Neill: Cover crops restructure carbon and nitrogen cycles more than rotational diversity
- Susan Magnoli: Evolution in the LTER: the role of rapid adaptation in plant population establishment
- Di Liang: Separating soil autotrophic nitrification by ammonia oxidizing bacteria (AOB) and ammonia oxidizing archaea (AOA)
- Mir Zaman Hussain: Assessing nitrate leaching and drainage in annual maize, perennial bioenergy grasses, native prairie and hybrid poplar
- Braeden Van Deynze: Familiarity with Bioenergy Crops and Land Supply for their Production
On Friday evening a poster reception was held. Poster presentations are detailed below.
Data Carpentry Workshop:
On Saturday morning, a Data Carpentry sampler workshop was well attended. This was created and presented by Christie Bahlai
Meeting held on: 2016-09-16